He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Monday, April 03, 2006

The Good Samaritan

Luke 10:30-37

Who is my neighbour?

This passage jumps out at me every time, and never more so than when people on the street ask me for money. Not so long ago I saw a young man lying outside a shop on a city centre street, sleeping with a half empty bottle of MGD beside him. It was cold and it was wet, but there he was, getting some kip.

I has happened to all of us, people asking for money. It can get a bit annoying. The last time I was on holiday with two Christian friends, we made a pact that we would buy something to eat for the next person who asked us for money. That was eight months ago, and none of us have helped any of these people out yet.

Being the priest, or Levite, that I am, I metaphorically pass by on the other side of the road, every time, without fail. It almost follows on from yesterday's post, that it is difficult to get out of your comfort zone and be a follower of Jesus; I would find it hard to stop with this guy and help him out. Yet the Samaritan was able to do it... in the power of God, I will be able to do it too.

1 Comments:

Blogger marimac said...

Hi, Thomas, I found your blog through your comments on Kevin's blog (nomadic neophyte). I am SO much older than both of you that I decided to give you my perspective, decrepid and cranky as it may be! I have held to several different beliefs about how to help people asking for money on the street. I began with giving them every penny on me. I then decided that I was contributing to their addictions by giving them money, so I started to buy them meals or sodas, etc. I then believed it was my Christian duty to help them spiritually, so I'd invite them to church/study with me and promised to feed them when they came. I interpreted Jesus' "the least of these my brethren" as applying only to other Christians. I now find myself turning back to giving them every penny I have! In order to do that, I have to prepare ahead of time. Carry several small umbrellas with you wherever you go so you can give one to the poor soul out in the rain without one. Carry bottled water and candy bars with you and give them to anyone who looks thirsty/hungry/tired. Carry an extra bit of cash with you and if someone asks you for money, give it to them. You will be giving Jesus an umbrella, water, candy and cash. I find I have no doubts about that when I'm prepared and looking for people in need. Kevin and his wife taught me alot about ACTING to help others. Nike has the right idea. Peace, my brother!
Marimac

8:31 pm

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home